Friday, July 18, 2008

Take my baby, please!

This little phase of anarchy and defiance can end ANY DAY now. We have had a really tough morning. It started out great, he was giggling, silly, and pretty laid back. Then, it all changed at 9am. His twin evil spawn side raged on to the scene with ferocity.

For the first time ever (trying to see the silver lining thru the hurricane clouds) he got undressed by himself. Diaper and all. That began the peeing on the floor. The carpet. The Toilet. The stairs. Everywhere. Cleaned up all that, and got him redressed after some stern words. 20 minutes later, he again is completely naked, holding the diaper with the morning movement in it. He kept saying "put it in trash, put it in trash, stinky diapy." At least he knows what to do with it, right? Sigh. Again, redress, more stern words. Not even 5 minutes later, naked again, pees on the floor, then runs into the potty and goes on there. Argh! Time out commences.

I started dismantling the refrigerator shelves to clean quickly before the immanent food shopping later on today. While at the sink, indrustiously scrubbing away, he grabbed the maple syrup without me seeing. He disappears into the master bedroom (which is right off the kitchen) and pours it onto the Berber rug and a 3x3 brand new play mat with trucks and sounds and everything. This is not good. Immediately I swoop him up and put him in his room for safe keeping until I can dig out every tool I have in my cleaning arsenal. How does one clean up Maple syrup (1/4 of a bottle!) anyway? Well, a combo of Oxyclean, Pine-Sol and a big ass scrubbing brush did the trick. So upset was I that I left him upstairs for 10 minutes. I know it is best not to acknowledge such abhorrent behavior, but I was ripping mad. Still am. But, at least he chilled out a bit and some semblance of my former baby is coming back.

All this and it isn't even noon. Lovely.

2 comments:

Karyn said...

WAIT A SEC - WHO SAYS it's best to not acknowledge bad behavior??? Screw that, I'm sorry - I know you don't want to reward him with attention for bad behavior - however! Silence denotes acceptance - I say you speak up and tell him who is who and what is what and quit telling yourself that it's all good...it sucks. It's hard and it sucks. You're a much nicer person I am to have just tucked him in his crib for ten minutes by way of consequence, I tell you what.

Anonymous said...

Karyn's the "experienced mummee" here! I often forget that silence denotes acceptance but so often it is so true!

I keep smiling reading about all the crapola you two go through with your own kids, when I've had to go through it with so many who were not even my own. But all-in-all, it's so fun, isn't it?