Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Try not to take it personally.

Y'know, in my line of work, I say this several times to several different people in several different instances. It is 100% true, it is a professional thing, not a personal thing.

But what happens when your husband says it to you in reaction to how 2 1/2 year old son is treating Mommy? Not an easy pill to swallow. He even tells his beloved Nana to "stop talking" "go away" etc. It is heartbreaking. He is just really going thru a very strong Male Only phase. He only wants Daddy to comfort him from a nightmare, or read a favorite book before bed, or make his dinner, or even change his diaper. Mommy can't do it without a hissy fit ensuing.

Hmph. My feelings are hurt. I know the pendulum will undoubtedly swing the other way sooner rather than later, but still. What a horrible feeling.

2 comments:

Karyn said...

It's ok to feel hurt. It's crappy, to be sure, and it doesn't necessarily end here. My heart broke the first time W. told me he didnt want me for a mother... I feel your pain... I do. BUT. Try to remember that this is GOOD because it means he knows your love is unconditional, and also, it means YOU ARE OFF THE HOOK FOR SOME OF THE WORK FOR NOW!

elastic waistland said...

Yeah...what Karyn said! Enjoy being off the hook from some of the work! And be glad that he is forming such a strong daddy attachment.

Being a SAHM for so many years has meant that poor Rick is often "chopped liver" - he tries not to take it personally. But, it can be hard sometimes. And sometimes I wish the girls would be a bit more of a daddy's girl!