Saturday, May 12, 2007

A Gentle Man Lost

On Thursday, May 10th, the world lost a first class human being. His name is Chris, and he was killed in a horrible accident. He was my dear friend Andrea's best friend, to the point they were each other's health care proxy's. They lived together for years, and he was a constant presence in our friendship. He helped me move on a moment's notice, when no one else could help me. He could tell you anything you ever wanted to know about fires, firetrucks, trains, fish, working at a hospital-everything. In fact, when I was admitted to the hospital to be induced, he came out to meet me, and get me settled in the maternity ward. He was wise beyond his years, but still mischevious.

We could not see him for a long stretch of time, but when we got together, it was like no time had elapsed. He was a quiet presence that had a terrific laugh, and an equally terrific bellow. He was a patient at the dentist office I used to work at. He was in my husband's Boy Scout Troop.

Our lives, altho somewhat distant physically, seem inexplicably intertwined. My husband and I have been married for 2 1/2 years, and that time has been filled with immense loss-my mother in law, father in law, husbands grandfather, and 3 of our beloved cats. But this is different. This is someone our age, we grew up with him. In fact, my older brother got into a world of trouble in his early teens for teasing Chris and his cousin relentlessly. Mortality has unfortunately hit our family in huge rogue waves, but this. This is just different.

I apoligize if this is just rambling and strung together-but it is difficult to type when my face is burning with the tears. Don't know when his services will be, but hopefully he will get what he always wanted-a firefighters funeral.

He was a rare, special person that forever will leave a pit in my heart. Out of all of our friends, he is definately on a fast track to heaven.
Rest in peace, CWH.

2 comments:

Karyn said...

Devastating stuff.

It's always such a blow to the senses to lose one of your peers, such an unlikely chasm in the logical sequence of events...

Also - a reminder - life is short, and the hold any of us has on it is a tenuous one.

Live while the gettin's good.

My heart goes out to all y'all...

Jeanne Tuthill said...

Life often makes ABSOULTELY no sense. I am so sorry for your loss. What a tragedy. My heart goes out to you and to his friends and family.

It sounds like you have an angel in heaven who will be watching over you.

May he rest in peace.